Advanced Search

New Pipe Proves Fruitful for Mountain Province

Dec 24, 2019 6:05 AM   By Rapaport News
Comment Comment Email Email Print Print Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter Share Share

RAPAPORT... Mountain Province recovered more than 5,000 micro-diamonds from Gahcho Kué’s new Wilson pipe during its initial drilling program.

The Canadian miner retrieved 1.7 tonnes of kimberlite from two drill holes at the site, it said Monday. Of the 5,564 stones treated at the Saskatchewan Research Council, 86 were over 0.85 millimeters, weighing a total of 2.23 carats.

“These results, [which] follow on the discovery of Wilson earlier this year, are evidence that the life of the Gahcho Kué mine is still on an open-ended opportunity,” said Mountain Province CEO Stuart Brown. “Wilson has the potential to make a valuable contribution to the mine, and it represents only the early results of our combined exploration efforts with De Beers to continue to add value through further discovery in the area.”

Geologists first discovered the Wilson pipe in June during a drill-testing program, more than 20 years after the last distinct deposit was found at Gahcho Kué. Mountain Province owns 49% of mine, with De Beers holding the remaining 51%.

Image: The ore crusher at the Gahcho Kué mine. (Mountain Province)
Tags: De Beers, Gahcho Kué, mountain province, Rapaport News, Saskatchewan Research Council, stuart brown, Wilson, Wilson pipe
Similar Articles
Comments: (0)  Add comment Add Comment
Arrange Comments Last to First
© Copyright 1978-2021 by Rapaport USA Inc. All rights reserved. Index®, RapNet®, Rapaport®, PriceGrid™, Diamonds.Net™, and JNS®; are registered TradeMarks.
While the information presented is from sources we believe reliable, we do not guarantee the accuracy or validity of any information presented by Rapaport or the views expressed by users of our internet service.