Advanced Search

U.S. Jewelry Prices Jump in August

Sep 26, 2016 10:33 AM   By Rapaport News
Email Email Print Print Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter Share Share

The U.S. consumer price index (CPI) for jewelry increased 4 percent in August from the previous month, according to data from the U.S. Bureau for Labor Statistics. The reading was 9 percent higher than a year ago.

The jump contrasts with mixed diamond and gold prices in August. The RapNet Diamond Index (RAPI™) for 1-carat diamonds was down 0.8 percent, or 4.5 percent lower than a year ago. RAPI for 0.30-carat was flat during August and RAPI for 0.50-carat rose 0.2 percent, while the index for 3-carat diamonds increased 0.2 percent. Gold prices on Comex declined 3.5 percent between August 1 and August 31, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

The August CPI for watches fell 1.5 percent month on month and rose 6 percent year on year. The CPI for jewelry and watches combined jumped 2 percent from July and 8 percent from a year ago. The CPI for all urban consumers increased 0.2 percent from the previous month on a seasonally adjusted basis.
Tags: Bureau for Labor Statistics, consumer price index, cpi, Jewelry, jewelry prices, prices, Rapaport News, RAPI, RapNet Diamond Index, u.s., Watch prices, watches
Similar Articles
© Copyright 1978-2021 by Rapaport USA Inc. All rights reserved. Index®, RapNet®, Rapaport®, PriceGrid™, Diamonds.Net™, and JNS®; are registered TradeMarks.
While the information presented is from sources we believe reliable, we do not guarantee the accuracy or validity of any information presented by Rapaport or the views expressed by users of our internet service.