News

Advanced Search

Mountain Province to Borrow $50M from Investor

Dec 30, 2021 6:58 AM   By Rapaport News
Comment Comment Email Email Print Print Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter Share Share


RAPAPORT...
Mountain Province is working on an agreement with its largest shareholder for a $50 million loan that will enable it to pay back existing debt and further its Kennady North exploration project.

The miner has already reached a non-binding contract for funding with Dermot Desmond, who owns just over 32% of the company’s stock, Mountain Province said Thursday. It hopes to secure a binding commitment in early 2022.

The proposed agreement will see Mountain Province take ownership of $50 million in debt tied to a subsidiary belonging to Desmond, which will be due at the end of 2027. In turn, the investor will obtain further equity in the Canadian mining company. Mountain Province will use a portion of the money to pay off an existing $25 million loan and revolving credit facility from Dunebridge Worldwide — one of the investor’s companies. It will also use the funds to meet its short- and long-term financial-liquidity needs, Mountain Province said.

In October 2020, the miner brokered a deal with Dunebridge for a $25 million secured loan to pay off its older credit facility. In August of that year, the company agreed to buy up to $100 million of Mountain Province’s run-of-mine goods amid Covid-19-related struggles.

“This planned investment by our largest shareholder and significant debt holder, Mr. Dermot Desmond, further demonstrates his confidence in Mountain Province, and the strong macro-environment for our diamonds,” said Mountain Province CEO Mark Wall. “Additionally, this planned investment strengthens my own optimism as we look towards a broader capital structure optimization in 2022.”

The new deal is subject to approval by the company’s shareholders and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX).

Meanwhile, Mountain Province is also facing a Covid-19 outbreak at its Gahcho Kué deposit in Canada, it said earlier this week. Currently, four workers have tested positive, with eight others in quarantine. All employees are vaccinated, and the outbreak is not expected to affect production or mining operations, Mountain Province added.

Image: A large-haul truck at the Gahcho Kué mine. (Mountain Province)
Comment Comment Email Email Print Print Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter Share Share
Tags: Dermot Desmond, Dunebridge Worldwide, Gahcho Kué deposit, kennady north, Mark Wall, mountain province, Rapaport News
Similar Articles
Rio Tinto Diavik diamonds 140Diavik Production Falls in 2021
Jan 18, 2022
Production at the Diavik mine in Canada dropped 6% year on year in 2021, owner Rio Tinto said Tuesday.Output
Comments: (0)  Add comment Add Comment
Arrange Comments Last to First
© Copyright 1978-2022 by Rapaport USA Inc. All rights reserved. Index®, RapNet®, Rapaport®, PriceGrid™, Diamonds.Net™, and JNS®; are registered TradeMarks.
While the information presented is from sources we believe reliable, we do not guarantee the accuracy or validity of any information presented by Rapaport or the views expressed by users of our internet service.