News

Advanced Search

Gahcho Kué Mine Restarts After Brief Pause

Sep 6, 2022 4:38 AM   By Leah Meirovich
Comment Comment Email Email Print Print Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter Share Share


RAPAPORT...
De Beers has resumed work at the Gahcho Kué mine in Canada after temporarily shutting operations following the death of an employee at the site.

“Limited production has now resumed at the mine and is expected to ramp up over the next few days,” a De Beers spokesperson told Rapaport News Tuesday.

The incident occurred on September 1 and involved a worker from a contract partner company, De Beers explained. Gahcho Kué is a joint venture between De Beers, which holds 51%, and Mountain Province, the owner of the remaining 49%.

“We are deeply saddened to confirm that an employee...succumbed to injuries sustained in an incident at Gahcho Kué,” the miner said last week. “The circumstances around what happened are under investigation by the appropriate authorities. All nonessential work at the mine has been suspended.”

Image: A drone shot of the Gahcho Kué mine. (Ben Perry/Armoury Films/De Beers)
Tags: Canada, De Beers, diamonds, Gahcho Kué, Gahcho Kué mine, Leah Meirovich, mountain province
Similar Articles
Comments: (0)  Add comment Add Comment
Arrange Comments Last to First
© Copyright 1978-2022 by Rapaport USA Inc. All rights reserved. Index®, RapNet®, Rapaport®, PriceGrid™, Diamonds.Net™, and JNS®; are registered TradeMarks.
While the information presented is from sources we believe reliable, we do not guarantee the accuracy or validity of any information presented by Rapaport or the views expressed by users of our internet service.