Advanced Search

Rio Tinto Taps New Diavik Mine Chief

Mar 28, 2017 6:50 AM   By Rapaport News
Comment Comment Email Email Print Print Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter Share Share

Rio Tinto has appointed Patrick Boitumelo as president and chief operating officer of its subsidiary Diavik Diamond Mines (DDM), the company said Tuesday.

Rio Tinto owns 60% of the Diavik mine in Canada’s Northwest Territories and operates the deposit through DDM. Dominion Diamond Corporation owns the remaining 40% of the asset.

Boitumelo – who will start at the end of July after relocating to Yellowknife, Canada – was most recently general manager of engineering and projects at Kennecott Utah Copper in Salt Lake City, Utah. He has extensive senior experience in the mining industry across a range of asset classes, including diamonds, Rio Tinto said.

The hire comes as Rio Tinto prepares to bring the Diavik mine’s A21 extension onstream, with production planned to start in 2018.

Image: Diavik Diamond Mines
Tags: A21, Canada, Diavik, Dominion Diamond Corporation, Kennecott Utah Copper, Patrick Boitumelo, Rapaport News, Rio Tinto, subsidiary Diavik Diamond Mines, yellowknife
Similar Articles
Comments: (0)  Add comment Add Comment
Arrange Comments Last to First
© Copyright 1978-2022 by Rapaport USA Inc. All rights reserved. Index®, RapNet®, Rapaport®, PriceGrid™, Diamonds.Net™, and JNS®; are registered TradeMarks.
While the information presented is from sources we believe reliable, we do not guarantee the accuracy or validity of any information presented by Rapaport or the views expressed by users of our internet service.