News

Advanced Search

Gahcho Kué Mine Proves Profitable in First Year

Nov 15, 2017 3:51 AM   By Rapaport News
Comment Comment Email Email Print Print Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter Share Share


RAPAPORT...
Mountain Province recorded a profit in the third quarter, less than a year after launching production at the Gahcho Kué mine in Canada.

The miner posted a net income of $21.8 million (CAD 27.7 million) for the three months that ended September 30, versus a loss of $4.2 million (CAD 5.4 million) a year earlier, it said Monday.

Commercial production at the mine began on March 1, with Mountain Province owning a 49% share in the operation and De Beers the remaining 51%. Mountain Province sells its share of production at tenders in Antwerp, with an average of 100 companies bidding in each sale this year, the miner reported. 

Third-quarter revenue was $51.3 million (CAD 65.2 million), versus zero in 2016, as production had not yet launched. The company sold 765,000 carats at an average price of $67 (CAD 85) per carat.

In the first nine months, revenue amounted to $73 million (CAD 92.9 million), and profit more than doubled to $26 million (CAD 33.1 million) from $10.3 million (CAD 13.1 million) a year ago.
Tags: Canada, Gahcho Kué, mining, mountain province, Rapaport News, Rough Diamonds, rough sales
Similar Articles
De Beers 600De Beers Buys Peregrine Diamonds for $81M
Jul 19, 2018
De Beers’ Canada business has agreed to acquire exploration company Peregrine Diamonds, which owns the promising
Comments: (0)  Add comment Add Comment
Arrange Comments Last to First
© Copyright 1978-2018 by Martin Rapaport. All rights reserved. Index®, RapNet®, Rapaport®, PriceGrid™, Diamonds.Net™, and JNS®; are TradeMarks of Martin Rapaport.
While the information presented is from sources we believe reliable, we do not guarantee the accuracy or validity of any information presented by Rapaport or the views expressed by users of our internet service.