News

Advanced Search

RioZim in Talks to Buy Murowa Mine

May 28, 2012 7:23 AM   By Avi Krawitz
Comment Comment Email Email Print Print Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter Share Share
RAPAPORT... Zimbabwe's RioZim Limited has begun talks with Rio Tinto to buy the mining giant’s stake in ‎the Murowa diamond mine, Reuters reported. ‎

Rio Tinto owns a 78 percent stake in Murowa while RioZim owns the remaining 22 percent.  The talks follow a decision by Rio Tinto to divest from its diamond ‎business, which includes the Argyle mine in Australia and a 60 percent stake in the Diavik mine ‎in Canada.

RioZim is keen to exercise its preemptive rights to acquire Rio Tinto's shares in Murowa, ‎Reuters quoted Harpal Randhawa, whose private equity group Global Emerging Markets ‎recently bought 25 percent of RioZim, as saying at an investment conference in Harare.‎

‎"We're now in discussions with Rio Tinto to acquire the 78 percent of Murowa that they want ‎to offload," Randhawa said.‎

He noted that the firm was compliant with Zimbabwe's empowerment law as it was 54 percent ‎controlled by locals.‎
Tags: Avi Krawitz, diamonds, Murowa, Rio Tinto, RioZim, Zimbabwe
Similar Articles
zim smZimbabwe May Allow Only Two Miners in the Marange
Apr 24, 2014
(RAPAPORT) Herald: Zimbabwe informed diamond companies in Marange that only...
Similar Videos
Explorers Jump Start Projects, Damas Designs for Spring
Jan 30, 2013
Gemfields completed its acquisition of Faberge this week. Emerald production...
fluor Fluor Completes Jwaneng... diamonds Diamond Explorers Update... IDCMR Martin Rapaport Presentation...
Comments: (0)  Add comment Add Comment
Arrange Comments Last to First
© Copyright 1978-2014 by Martin Rapaport. All rights reserved. Index®, RapNet®, Rapaport®, PriceGrid™, Diamonds.Net™, and JNS®; are TradeMarks of Martin Rapaport.
While the information presented is from sources we believe reliable, we do not guarantee the accuracy or validity of any information presented by Rapaport or the views expressed by users of our internet service.